1. i've been eating grapefruit every day, i just can't get enough. my grapefruit of choice is the organic honeygold from texas, they grow 'em good. also, i prefer to peel them and eat them like an orange rather than cutting in half & eating with a spoon. how do you eat grapefruit?
2. i've also been eating my fair share of chickpeas, annie got me hooked! we roast them, smoosh them, soup them and turn them into salads like this one. baby spinach, celery, purple onion, fresh squeezed lemon, black pepper and sea salt. it's quite delicious, though i cannot wait to swap the celery for cucmber. i am aching for cucumber to be back in season, i miss it so.
3. due to inclement weather we have been spending a great deal of time in our kitchen, mostly baking and inventing new soup recipes. (you've got to love soup if you live here, it's a must for rainy weather) we like our kitchen and being in it, cooking/baking is fun and there are lots of little friends hanging around.
4. i showed sweet d some multiplication tricks, she's been pretty into math lately. she's got sneaky ways of turning just about anything into a math problem. it's a special thing to see your kiddos find genuine interest in things all on their own, to watch them learn and figure new things out. we are unschoolers and i'm just realizing that i don't really talk about that topic here, so if you don't know me in person now you know.
5. i can't figure out why our weather keeps doing this. don't be fooled by how pretty it is, it's weird. pacific northwest weather has been so confusing this year, changing from sun to rain to snow and back all in a single day. the other day we were driving to eugene and somewhere along I-5, south of portland, it hailed for less than 2 seconds. no joke! oh, and then a few miles later the wind was blowing so hard it was actually slowing our car down, it's crazy! okay, it just started snowing... you can't make this stuff up.